Sauteed sausage pairs beautifully with the slightly sweet peppers and crisp zucchini in this flavorful Sausage Zucchini Skillet.
Sausage Zucchini Skillet
I adore skillet meals. They are fast and simple to prepare, and the use of only a single pan makes cleanup a breeze. This one is no different. It’s basically an easy sausage stir fry with vegetables.
I like this recipe as written. It’s hard to go wrong with peppers, zucchini and sausage! But, one of the best parts about skillet meals is their adaptability. If you have leftover vegetables to use, this is exactly the kind of meal you want.
Zucchini and Sausage
I didn’t care for zucchini very much as a child. However, as an adult, I really enjoy it and look forward to the days when summer squash comes into season.
Part of that is due to the way that I’ve learned to cook it. Tender crisp makes a world of difference over the mushy vegetable that I thought zucchini was as a kid. (Yes, Mom, I know you’re reading this and I know you prefer your squash to be squishy – that’s just plain wrong. Sorry.)
Raw zucchini has a certain sponginess to it, but it becomes tender as you cook it. I like to stop cooking it while it still retains a crisp bite, but has lost that spongy texture.
Sausage Stir Fry with Vegetables
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this recipe:
- olive oil
- kielbasa sausage
- yellow onion
- red bell pepper
- Italian seasoning blend
- garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- fresh Italian parsley
Start by warming the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and toss to coat. Spread out and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Then, transfer the cooked sausage to a plate.
Place the onions and bell peppers in the hot pan. Toss to coat in the sausage grease. Then, reduce heat to medium and cook while stirring frequently for about 3 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
Add the zucchini to the other vegetables and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and continue cooking, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes.
The zucchini should have softened a bit, but retain plenty of of crispness. Add sausage back to the skillet and toss to combine. Then, taste and adjust salt and pepper, as desired. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve warm.
The cooking time for this recipe with vary depending on the size of the vegetables. It takes a bit longer to prepare the vegetables if you chop and slice them into smaller pieces, this sausage zucchini skillet will cook faster.
We like our zucchini to retain a good bit of crispness, so I always err on the side of undercooking it. If you prefer yours more tender, continue cooking to the desired doneness.
Looking for more ideas for sausage dinners?
I love the convenience of kielbasa sausage for quick and easy dinners. I have it on hand at all times, as it will keep nicely in the fridge for weeks and works as the perfect protein source when I forget to plan dinner. Add the sausage and whatever vegetables you have on hand to a skillet and you’ll have a great stir fry in minutes.
Roasted with potatoes in the oven, it becomes another family favorite. Want a sheet pan dinner that comes together in minutes? Try this one. Tossed into pasta or added to fried rice? All of these recipes are guaranteed wins with my whole family.
And last, but definitely not least, have you tried cabbage and kielbasa? That’s a go-to dinner here.
Sausage Zucchini Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound kielbasa sausage sliced about ⅓-½" thick
- 1 small yellow onion sliced into ½-inch strips, about ¾ cup
- 1 medium red bell pepper sliced into ½-inch strips and halved, about 1 cup
- 2 medium zucchini quartered and sliced into ½ inch pieces, about 4 cups
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley finely chopped
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the sausage and toss to coat. Spread across the pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer the cooked sausage to a plate.
- Add the onions and bell peppers to the hot pan. Toss to coat in the grease from the sausage. Reduce heat to medium and cook, while stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the zucchini and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine and continue cooking and stirring for 3-5 minutes, until the zucchini has softened a bit and plenty of crispness remains.
- Add sausage back to the skillet and toss to combine. Taste and adjust salt and pepper, as desired. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve warm.