A handful of simple seasonings transform frozen green beans into a wonderful side dish with these Italian Green Beans.
Italian Green Beans
Italian green beans are also known as Romano beans. These bean pods are broader and flatter than the standard green bean. While the flavor is very similar, some people think that Romano beans have a more bean-like taste.
I have made this recipe with Italian green beans and with regular green beans. As pictured, it is with Romano beans. But, the truth is that I usually just grab whatever bag I happen to have on hand, and the flavor is great either way.
How to Cook Frozen Green Beans
A lot of us are in a rush, trying to put dinner on the table every night. And, so I have used more steamer bags of frozen veggies than I care to admit over the years. Well, this is the best way to cook frozen green beans that I’ve found.
You can use this method with regular frozen green beans or the Italian style green beans from the freezer section. Or, if you like, you can also use fresh green beans, and the results are still great!
Italian Green Beans Recipe
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this recipe:
- frozen Italian green beans
- olive oil and butter
- Italian seasoning
- crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- fresh Italian parsley
Start by steaming the green beans in the microwave according to package instructions. Then, combine the olive oil, garlic, Italian seasonings, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a skillet over medium heat.
Heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds, swirling the pan a couple of times as the spices warm. Then, add the green beans. Stir to coat them with the oil and spices.
Continue cooking for about 2 more minutes. Then, add a tablespoon of butter and stir to melt.
Sprinkle with parsley, or even parmesan cheese or toasted bread crumbs, and serve warm.
Looking for more recipes like this frozen green bean side dish? Fresh green beans, a drizzle of oil, a dash of spices, and a generous sprinkling of cheese add up to these crispy Parmesan Green Beans. They’re wonderfully crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Tender, slightly crisp Green Beans with Herbs are sauteed in butter. This is a side dish that everyone enjoys.
As tasty as they are pretty, these Green Bean Bacon Bundles with their buttery, sweet glaze and a hint of warmth are a dinner-time treat.
When you combine crisp, tender green beans with earthy artichoke hearts, and bathe them in a garlicky cream sauce, the result is a Green Bean Artichoke Casserole that is certain to be a win on your holiday table.
Tender crisp Thai Green Beans with peanut sauce can be made as mild or as spicy as you like – in under 15 minutes!
Easy Italian Green Beans
- 12 ounces frozen Italian green beans steamed in microwave
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley finely chopped
- Steam the green beans in the microwave according to package instructions.
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, Italian seasonings, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a skillet over medium heat. Heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Swirling the pan a couple of times as the spices warm.
- Add the green beans, stir to coat them with the spices and garlic, and continue cooking for about 2 more minutes. Add a tablespoon of butter and stir to melt. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.