Crisp edges with a tender center, these tangy lemon garlic Brussels sprouts pack a delicious garlicky kick. This recipe is so easy, you’ll be eating them out of the pan in no time at all!
I am a huge fan of Brussels sprouts today, but that was not always the case. As a child, I hated them. If only my mom had this recipe, I could have fallen in love at first sight. Oh, the years that were lost–at least I have it now!
Lemon Garlic Brussels Sprouts
I have to admit, I normally prefer something sweet with my Brussels. Give me some apple chunks, a bit of bacon, or a balsamic glaze with this savory, slightly nutty vegetable any day. But I can’t deny the appeal of these Brussels sprouts with lemon and garlic.
Lemon and garlic are such a tried and true flavor combination. Coupled with shredded Parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper flakes, my family devoured this skillet of crisp warm Brussels sprouts.
We like things with a bit more heat at my table, so I usually put in a bit more of the red pepper flakes than my recipe calls for. You can adjust to suit your taste, though–hot or mild.
Sauteed Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Things to bear in mind when sauteeing Brussels sprouts:
Start by warming the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Brussels sprouts and stir gently to coat with oil. Continue sauteing until the Brussels sprouts are bright green and tender, about 5-6 minutes.
You want them to crisp and sear on the side touching the pan. Personally, I find it worth the effort to turn over as many of them as I can through the cooking process to sear as much surface area on the sprouts as possible.
Add the garlic and sprinkle the Brussels with salt and pepper flakes. Cook an additional minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
Add the butter to the skillet, let it melt, and then drizzle the lemon juice over the sprouts. Toss to coat with butter and lemon.
Taste and add more salt, only if needed. Sprinkle with Parmesan before serving.
Serve the Brussels with a simple Steak Stir Fry for a quick dinner the whole family will love.
Broccoli Mac and Cheese is another easy dinner that would be great with these vegetables. Did you know that you can make creamy, rich, and extra saucy mac and cheese completely from scratch in the same amount of time it takes to cook boxed mac and cheese?
Serve these Brussels with Air Fryer Eggplant Parmesan for an unforgettable meal. Crispy, lightly breaded slices of eggplant don’t get too soft in this recipe process, and they form delicious layers between all that sauce and cheese.
Rich and delicious is the best way to describe creamed Brussels Sprouts with garlic and parmesan. Sprinkle them with bacon and you won’t want to share!
Lemon Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts sliced thin
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small lemon, juiced about 3 tablespoons worth
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese OPTIONAL
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, over medium-high heat. Add the Brussels sprouts and stir gently to coat with oil. Add a splash of water (about 2 tablespoons) to the skillet and cover with a lid for about 2 minutes.
- Continue sauteing, stirring occasionally, until the Brussels sprouts are bright green and tender, about 5-6 minutes total. Add the garlic and season the Brussels with salt and pepper flakes. Cook an additional minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the butter to the skillet, let it melt, and then drizzle lemon juice over the sprouts. Toss to coat with butter and lemon.
- Taste and add more salt, only if needed. Sprinkle with Parmesan before serving, if desired.