Tender broccoli and rich, melt-in-your-mouth cheese bring so much flavor to each Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast.
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
This recipe was inspired by the Cheddar Vegetable Stuffed BBQ Pork Tenderloin that my whole family loves. The broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken has been simplified with just a handful of ingredients and a minimum of effort.
My family eats a fair amount of chicken, but we tend to prefer red meat, or even pork most nights. Chicken is fine, and I have some really fabulous go-to recipes with it. But, especially with chicken breasts, it often feels kinda meh.
That’s all changed when you take a regular chicken breast and transform it into a broccoli cheese stuffed chicken breast. Suddenly, there’s a glorious little pocket with a flavor explosion in every single bite.
It does take a bit longer to make these chicken breasts than I normally want to spend on a recipe. But, I have to say, the extra effort of slicing them open, stuffing them, and then pinning them together is SO worth it.
How Long to Bake Stuffed Chicken Breasts
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this recipe:
- chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- cheddar cheese
- barbecue sauce
To begin, preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and slice carefully into the thickest part of the breast, creating a slit that is about 4 inches across, without slicing through the entire breast. Pat each breast dry with a paper towel and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place the broccoli and the corn in a medium size glass bowl along with 2 tablespoons of water. Cook in the microwave for about 3 minutes until the broccoli is bright green and slightly tender.
Chicken Breast Stuffed with Broccoli and Cheese
Alternatively, you can steam the broccoli and corn on the stove to soften it. Add the cheese to the bowl with the hot vegetables and stir to combine.
Use a spoon to scoop the vegetable mixture into each chicken breast stuffed with broccoli and cheese. Then, pin it closed with a toothpick. Set the stuffed breasts in a 9×13 baking dish and pour barbecue sauce over them.
Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, until the stuffed chicken breasts reach 165°F. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before removing the toothpicks to serve. Serve with additional barbecue sauce, as desired.
The cooking time may vary, depending on the size and thickness of the chicken breasts. The time listed in the recipe is consistent on average, but allow yourself a few extra minutes, just in case you need them.
Broccoli Stuffed Chicken Breast
Looking for more recipes like this cheesy broccoli stuffed chicken breast?
Saucy bites of tangy chicken come together perfectly with roasted potatoes and broccoli in this BBQ Chicken Potato Casserole. This flavorful and hearty dish is a big win at my house.
Chicken and vegetables simmer in a creamy filling underneath a flaky biscuit topping to make these Mini Chicken Pot Pies.
BBQ Chicken Zucchini Boats are a saucy, cheesy, deliciously hearty meal that is a refreshing change from the typical sandwiches we usually make with leftover chicken.
Tender juicy bites of chicken, bell peppers, and onion are sweetened with your favorite bbq sauce to create these easy, saucy BBQ Chicken Skewers.
This BBQ Ranch Chicken Salad is a refreshing mix of vegetables, chicken, and the most delicious salad dressing, a spicy BBQ ranch.
With a timeless combination of flavors with savory chicken, gooey mozzarella, and marinara sauce, nestled in tender crisp squash, and topped with toasted bread crumbs, Chicken Parmesan Zucchini Boats are a big hit!
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and slice carefully into the thickest part of the side of each breast, creating a slit that is about 4 inches across, without slicing through the entire breast. Pat each breast dry with a paper towel and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the broccoli and the corn in a medium size glass bowl, along with 2 tablespoons of water. Cook in the microwave for about 3 minutes until the broccoli is bright green and slightly tender. Alternatively, you can steam the broccoli and corn to soften it. Add the cheese to the bowl with the broccoli and stir to combine.
- Use a spoon to fill each chicken breast with the cheesy vegetable mixture and pin each one closed with a toothpick. Set the stuffed breasts in a 9×13 baking dish and pour barbecue sauce over them.
- Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, until the chicken reaches 165°F. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before removing the toothpicks and slicing or serving whole. Serve with additional barbecue sauce, if desired.