Gooey cheese, slightly sweet peppers, flavorful mushrooms, and a not-so-secret ingredient come together to make this easy Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole a surefire hit.
Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
So, what’s the secret ingredient? This meatless breakfast casserole recipe uses tater tots in place of hash browns or chopped potatoes. I first tried tater tots in a casserole last year. It was love at first bite.
I don’t know why it took me so long to think of it. We’ve always made this type of breakfast casserole with shredded hash browns, so tater tots make a lot of sense.
And let me tell you, tater tots are fantastic in this veggie breakfast casserole. They stay crispy on the edges with fluffy potato centers. This is exactly the kind of savory breakfast that makes for a delightful Christmas morning brunch.
For those with finicky eaters at your table, don’t worry! This recipe is extremely versatile. You can easily swap out the ingredients you don’t want, and keep or even add extras to this vegetable lover’s breakfast casserole.
If you do make changes, please let me know how it turned out! I’d love to hear how you adapted this recipe.
Meatless Breakfast Casserole
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this recipe:
- olive oil
- tater tots and yellow onion
- red and green bell peppers
- fresh mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheese (Mexican blend or cheddar)
- eggs and milk
- garlic powder and onion powder
- fresh Italian parsley or cilantro
Start by preheating the oven to 350ºF. Then, grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter and set aside. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil.
Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook while stirring frequently for about 3 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften. Then, add the mushrooms.
Continue cooking for about 5 more minutes. Then, season the vegetables with ½ tsp salt and pepper. Once the vegetables are finished cooking, remove from the heat.
Place the tater tots in the baking dish, then add the cooked vegetables and 1½ cups of the shredded cheese. Stir to combine.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine the eggs, milk, 1 teaspoon salt, garlic and onion powder. Then, pour the egg mixture over the veggies in the baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup of cheese.
Bake for 55-60 minutes until the eggs have set and the top is golden brown around the edges. Serve warm, sprinkled with parsley or cilantro.
Vegetable Breakfast Casserole
Looking for more recipes like this vegetable breakfast casserole?
Savory ham and hearty potatoes are baked to flavor perfection along with plenty of melted cheese, making this Ham and Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole a true comfort food.
When you pull this cheesy and delicious Ham Potato Broccoli Casserole hot and steaming from the oven everyone will be clamoring for a bite.
Fluffy, creamy eggs layered with an abundance of bacon, cream cheese, and jalapenos add up to the Jalapeno Popper Casserole of which dreams are made.
Ground Beef and Potato Casserole is a hearty, comfort-food dish that combines ground beef, sliced potatoes, and a rich, creamy sauce. Baked together under a layer of cheesy goodness, this a dinner the whole family enjoys.
Barbecue Chicken Stuffed Potatoes is the epitome of a meat and potatoes meal that everyone seems to enjoy. My family likes to add classic baked potato fixings: extra cheese, more BBQ sauce, sour cream, and even green onions.
Crispy baked potatoes are filled with hearty meat and vegetables and topped with creamy mashed potatoes in these Shepherd’s Pie Baked Potatoes.
Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion chopped into ¼ inch pieces, about 1 cup
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped into ½ inch pieces, about 1 cup
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped into ½ inch pieces, about 1 cup
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced thin, about 3 cups
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper pepper
- 30 ounces frozen tater tots
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese or cheddar cheese divided
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon granulated onion or onion powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley or cilantro chopped small
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter and set aside. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook while stirring frequently for about 3 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for about 5 minutes longer. Season the vegetables with ½ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Place the tater tots in the baking dish, along with the cooked vegetables and 1½ cups of cheese. Stir to combine.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the eggs, milk, 1 teaspoon salt, garlic and onion powder. Pour the egg mixture over the tater tots in the baking dish and top with the remaining ½ cup of cheese.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until the eggs have set and the top is golden brown around the edges. Serve warm, sprinkled with parsley or cilantro.