Looking for a quick and easy meal that is both delicious and nutritious? This recipe for Mixed Vegetable Rice creates a hearty and flavorful meal that you can easily pair with your protein of choice.
Rice with Frozen Vegetables
I am a huge fan of easy meals. And, it doesn’t get much simpler than the convenience of cooking rice with frozen vegetables. They are already partially cooked before being frozen, so they help save time, too!
Frozen vegetables are a cost-effective option for my family, and the nutritional content is on par with fresh veggies. So, I am happy to use them where it makes sense in my cooking.
Plus, there’s just something kind of nostalgic about these dishes for me. My siblings and I grew up eating a lot of frozen veggies. Seeing the pre-cut carrot cubes and uniform green beans reminds me of home.
My own kids love this dish, too. Last time I made this, I added I made some leftover ham and that was fabulous too. But, they usually just grab whatever protein we have leftover in the fridge and wolf it down.
Vegetable Rice Recipe
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this recipe:
- white or Jasmine rice
- chicken stock
- kosher salt
- frozen mixed vegetables
- Italian parsley
Start by melting the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add your garlic and onion. This will cook for a minute or so, just until fragrant.
Add the broth and the rice to the skillet. Then, increase the heat to high to bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once it boils, immediately reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a lid.
Continue cooking until the rice is tender and the liquid has been fully absorbed, about 18 minutes. Taste the rice and season with salt to taste. Then, fluff with a fork.
Add the frozen veggies and stir to mix throughout. Remove from the heat and let stand for a few minutes to thaw and warm the vegetable rice.
Taste the rice with mixed vegetables and add more salt if needed. Then, sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.
Rice with Vegetables
I have a lot of recipes that showcase the glorious allure of rice with vegetables. I grew up eating quite a lot of rice, and I appreciate this tiny grain’s versatility in the kitchen.
This spinach rice is a great way to brighten your plate and lately, I’ve been craving this mushroom rice. And, if that’s not enough to convince you that I really do love a good vegetable-rice combo, I don’t know what will.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain white or Jasmine rice
- 3½ cups chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion. Cook for about a minute, just until fragrant.
- Add the broth and the rice to the skillet. Increase the heat to high and bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 18 minutes. Taste the rice and season with salt, if desired. Fluff with a fork.
- Add the mixed vegetables and stir to mix throughout. Remove from heat and let stand for a few minutes to thaw and warm the vegetables. Taste the rice again and add more salt, only if needed. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.