Rich and savory ground beef is seasoned with a dash of aromatic spices, beneath a fluffy layer of mashed sweet potatoes. This Ground Beef Sweet Potato Casserole is a hearty dinner you’re sure to love.
Ground Beef Sweet Potato Casserole
Move over, spuds. Just as gorgeous as it is delicious, this hearty entree features a fluffy mashed sweet potato topping, over a simple and flavorful ground beef filling. This is the kind of dinner that leaves no leftovers at my table.
If you’ve never swapped out mashed potatoes for their orange counterparts, like in this sweet potato ground beef casserole, you are missing out!
Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
This isn’t your grandma’s sweet potato casserole. Gone are the marshmallows, and I’m not sorry about it at all. This is a savory sweet potato casserole that is really more like a sweet potato shepherd’s pie.
Well, it’s not really a shepherd’s pie because technically that would have lamb in it. So, this would actually be a sweet potato cottage pie. But, regardless of what you label it, you’re going to love eating it.
Meat Lovers’ Sweet Potato Casserole
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this recipe:
- ground beef
- sweet potatoes, yellow onion, and carrots
- stewed tomatoes and fresh garlic
- parsley, thyme, basil, and salt and pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- frozen peas
Begin by peeling and dicing the sweet potatoes into 1″ pieces. Place them in a pot and cover with water and add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium.
Continue cooking until fork tender. This should take less than 15 minutes. While they cook, preheat the oven to 350°F. Then, cook the ground beef over medium heat. When it is almost browned, drain off excess grease.
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Add the onions, and carrots to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the minced garlic, parsley, thyme, basil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes until the onions are soft.
Add the stewed tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Cook until the liquid is reduced, as needed. Then, stir in the peas. Taste and then season with salt and pepper. Adjust to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
Sweet Potato Ground Beef Casserole
Drain and mash the potatoes. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper to taste. Then, add a splash of milk and stir until the potatoes are smooth and fluffy.
Pour the beef mixture into a baking dish and then top with the mashed sweet potatoes, smoothing with a knife or spatula. Bake for 25 minutes, until hot and bubbling.
Savory Sweet Potato Recipes
Looking for more savory sweet potato recipes?
Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes are a quick side dish for any meal. Sweet potatoes are often served sweetened with brown sugar or maple syrup, but I’m here to tell you that savory sweet potatoes are where it’s at.
Easy Whipped Sweet Potatoes are sure to become the star of your dinner party side dishes as the fluffiest, creamiest potatoes ever.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts are pure awesomeness from start to finish. Adding salty bacon and a splash of vinegar makes this one heck of a fantastic side dish.
Fluffy sweet potatoes with crisp edges are tossed with crumbled bacon and drizzled with balsamic glaze to make these roasted Balsamic Sweet Potatoes.
Forget heating up the oven, use the air fryer for baked sweet potatoes. The first time I Baked Sweet Potatoes in the air fryer it was a game-changer for me.
Ground Beef Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes about 1 pound
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- ½ large yellow onion
- 3-4 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup carrots about 3 medium diced into ½" pieces
- 14 ounces diced stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper adjust to taste
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2-3 tablespoons milk adjust as needed
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into 1" pieces. Place them in a pot and cover with water and a sprinkle of salt. Cook until fork tender, this should take less than 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cook and crumble the ground beef over medium heat. When it is almost browned, drain off any fat and add the onions, and carrots.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes then add the minced garlic, parsley, thyme, basil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Cook until the liquid is reduced, as needed. Stir in the peas. Taste and then season with salt and pepper. Adjust as desired. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Drain the potatoes and mash gently with a potato masher. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper to taste. Add just a splash of milk and stir until the potatoes are smooth and fluffy.
- Layer the beef mixture into a baking dish and then top with the mashed sweet potatoes. Bake for 25 minutes, until hot and bubbling.