Sweet corn, ripe bell peppers, red onion, and jalapenos are seasoned with a medley of aromatic spices and a touch of fresh cilantro to make each spoonful of this Fiesta Corn a fabulous blend of flavors.
What is Mexicorn?
This side dish is variously called Fiesta Corn, Mexicorn, or Mexican-style corn. It is characterized by its uniformly chopped bell vegetables and corn, and seasoned with a blend of Mexican spices.
I found that it’s fabulous with a squeeze of lime, which brightens all of the flavors so nicely. It adds a whole new layer of depth to the flavors. And, if you love cilantro like me–it’s the perfect finishing touch.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this recipe:
- bell peppers, red onion, corn, and jalapeno
- cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- lime juice and cilantro
To begin with, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Then, add the bell peppers and red onion. If you want to include jalapeno, add it with the bell peppers.
Cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then, add the corn. You can use frozen, fresh, or canned corn for this recipe and it will still turn out great. Add all of the spices to the vegetables.
Mix the corn with bell peppers and spices until well combined. Then, continue cooking for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until everything is hot. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
Squeeze lime over the Fiesta Corn and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve warm.
If you liked this Mexicorn recipe, then I strongly recommend you give this confetti corn a try. It’s another great side dish with a multitude of fresh flavors in every bite.
As a side, this fresh corn salad is great for any weeknight dinner.
For those who are craving an endlessly snackable corn dip, you have got to try this corn queso. It’s a delectable treat with lingering heat. My boys go crazy for it.
This mango corn salsa is also great for dipping. It’s sweet and spicy. And, you will absolutely get asked for this recipe if you make it for a crowd!
If you’re interested in more savory and refreshing side dishes, then you’ll want to pour these mouth-watering Marinated Tomatoes over everything.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 red bell pepper chopped into ¼-inch pieces, about 1 cup
- 1 green bell pepper chopped into ¼-inch pieces, about 1 cup
- ½ red onion minced into ⅛-inch pieces, about 1 cup
- 1 jalapeno finely minced, about 2 tablespoons OPTIONAL
- 24 ounces frozen, fresh, or canned corn about 4 cups
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice about 1 large lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped small
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers, red onion, and jalapeno if desired. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the corn and sprinkle with cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir to mix throughout and continue cooking until hot, about 3-4 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Squeeze lime over the corn and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve warm.