A quick and easy, flavorful side dish is only a few minutes away with this Bell Pepper Rice recipe. Combining jasmine rice, fresh bell peppers, and chicken (or vegetable) stock, this rice is a staple in our house.
Bell Pepper Rice
As much as my family likes rice, it does sometimes get a wee bit boring as a basic side dish. That’s where different vegetable-filled variations come into play.
I’ve been making versions of this Vegetable Fried Rice for years now, and I recently realized that I hadn’t yet made a version with bell peppers. You may want to make a double batch of this rice; it tends to disappear quickly in our house.
One quick note about the salt in this recipe: as always, it’ll need to be adjusted to your taste depending on the saltiness of the chicken or vegetable stock used. Taste the finished product and adjust as needed after cooking.
Bell Pepper Rice
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this recipe:
- Olive oil
- Red and/or green bell peppers
- Yellow onion
- Jasmine rice
- Chicken or vegetable stock
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Italian parsley
Start by warming the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, bell peppers, and onions; toss to coat.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened (this should take about five minutes). Transfer the mixture to a plate and return the pan to the stove over medium-high heat.
Add the rice and the broth, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer until the rice is cooked through (this should take about fifteen minutes).
Remove from the heat and stir in the vegetables. Taste the rice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Looking for more rice recipes? Spinach Rice is a simple savory side complemented with onion, garlic, and a hint of lemon and parmesan cheese.
Ground Beef Fried Rice is both savory and slightly sweet with a subtle touch of heat, and can be made in under twenty minutes.
Simple and savory Mushroom Rice comes together as the perfect side dish or serves as a meal all on its own.
Finely shredded zucchini and a handful of sharp cheddar cheese are mixed into fluffy white rice to make this quick and easy Cheesy Zucchini Rice.
This Vegetable Fried Rice features so many great flavors and textures, from crunchy sweet corn to tender-crisp broccoli, green beans, zucchini, and more.
Looking for a quick and easy meal that is both delicious and nutritious? This recipe for Mixed Vegetable Rice creates a hearty and flavorful meal that you can easily pair with your protein of choice.
Rice pilaf is a simple side that is easy to amp up into a main dish with the addition of vegetables or meat, like in this Vegetable Rice Pilaf.
Bell Pepper Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped into ½-inch pieces, about 1 cup
- 1 green bell pepper chopped into ½-inch pieces, about 1 cup
- ½ small yellow onion chopped into ¼-inch pieces, about ⅔ cup
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼-½ teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- ¼-½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil and the butter. Add the garlic, the bell peppers, and the onions. Toss to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Return the pan to the stove over medium-high heat and add the rice and the broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer until the rice is cooked through, about 15-16 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vegetables. Taste the rice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.