With a perfect blend of tender pasta, creamy dressing, and a medley of fresh vegetables, this Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad is bursting with flavor.
Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad
Who doesn’t like a good macaroni salad? It’s definitely a staple at my summer gatherings. It brings a cool, refreshing taste to those hot summer afternoons, and it complements so many savory foods brilliantly.
Add to that the ease with which you can feed a crowd using this old fashioned macaroni salad recipe, and you’ve got a winning combination. This dish multiplies easily for larger groups.
Macaroni Salad with Egg
Have you ever tried macaroni salad with egg? Boiled eggs are one of my favorite ways to start the day. It’s a fabulous source of easy, healthy protein that requires so little effort to prepare.
Adding eggs to pasta salad adds a savory note that I adore. It’s more subtle than chicken or bacon. But, the change is distinctly delicious.
Macaroni Salad with Cucumber
Classic macaroni salads are typically light on the vegetables, if they contain them at all. But, that just isn’t my style. I love the crunch of fresh vegetables in this macaroni salad with cucumber.
I’ve added red pepper and cucumber to this recipe. However, you could easily add whichever vegetables you like best. In fact, it’s exactly that endless versatility that makes pasta salad one of my favorite side dishes.
Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad Recipe
You’ll need the following ingredients:
- elbow macaroni
- hardboiled eggs
- English cucumber
- red bell pepper and green onions
- mayonnaise and mustard
- white vinegar
- sugar, salt, and pepper
- Italian parsley
Start by cooking the pasta according to the directions on the package, adding a generous tablespoon of kosher salt to the water as it cooks. Drain into a large colander and rinse well with cold water to stop the cooking process.
Add the cooked and cooled macaroni to a large mixing bowl along with the eggs, cucumber, bell pepper, onions, and parsley. (Any color bell pepper will work in this salad. I just use what I have on hand.) Toss to mix well.
In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Then, whisk until smooth and pour over the salad ingredients. Toss well to coat and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Creamy Pasta Salad Recipes
Looking for more creamy pasta salad recipes?
The irresistible combination of vibrant peas, crispy bacon, and savory cheese complemented by a luscious creamy dressing, creates a perfect harmony of flavors in this Pea Pasta Salad.
Tender bites of chicken, sweet grapes, and pasta, are combined and tossed with a creamy homemade dressing to make this simple Poppyseed Pasta Salad.
You’re going to love this recipe for Creamy Macaroni Salad with ditalini pasta, broccoli, bell pepper, cucumber, olives, and red onions. It’s perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a family dinner or a picnic with friends.
Flaky tuna, crunchy bits of red onion, and bell peppers tossed with freshly cooked pasta in a creamy, tangy dressing make for a colorful Tuna Pasta Salad.
Tender pasta, fresh corn, and red onions are tossed with a creamy, spicy sauce of mayonnaise, lime, cilantro, and cotija cheese to create this Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad.
Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 hardboiled eggs chopped
- 1 English cucumber peeled and chopped small, about 1½ cups
- 1 red bell pepper chopped small, about 1 cup
- 6 green onions thinly sliced, about ¼ cup
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper adjust to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package, adding a generous tablespoon or so of kosher salt to the water as it cooks. Drain into a large colander and rinse well with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked and cooled macaroni with the eggs, cucumber, bell pepper, onions, and parsley. Toss to mix well.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk smooth and pour over the salad ingredients. Toss well to coat and refrigerate until ready to serve.