Fragrant and filling, when hamburger cabbage soup is simmering on the stove, anyone wandering through the kitchen is going to grin.
Soups are the epitome of comfort food. The body-warming feeling I get from cupping a warm cup of soup and inhaling the aroma is as comforting and warming as diving into the delicious flavors it offers.
Can you tell I am feeling the Ohio cold and the snow is falling outside my window as I finalize this delicious recipe? A cozy winter day inside is a welcome pause to the busiest of schedules.
Hamburger Cabbage Soup
Cabbage rolls have long been a regular meal on our dinner table. But I admit they do take a bit of time and I don’t always feel like doing all of those steps.
So creating a delicious soup filled with cabbage roll flavors was my goal. And let me say this hamburger cabbage soup is amazing!
Cabbage and Ground Beef Soup
You’ll need these ingredients to make this recipe:
- ground beef
- chili powder
- granulated garlic or garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- light brown sugar
- tomato sauce
- diced tomatoes
- beef stock
- kosher salt
- white wine vinegar
Cabbage Soup with Hamburger
In a large stock pot, start by browning the ground beef. If you use a 90/10 blend that is on the leaner side you can skip the grease-draining step and add the seasonings and brown sugar as it browns.
When the ground beef is almost done toss in the chopped onions and garlic. Continue cooking for a few minutes, as the onions begin to soften.
Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce along with the beef stock. Bring the pot to a simmer allowing the ingredients to meld and create the delicious aroma that comes from letting it simmer for a few minutes.
Once the pot is simmering, add the chopped cabbage and uncooked rice. Continue simmering until the cabbage is tender and the rice is cooked.
Remove from the heat and add the white wine vinegar before serving. (Don’t skip this step, that tiny splash of vinegar does make a difference.)
Taste your soup at this point and season it as needed. Sometimes cabbage can take a bit more salt, so taste test and adjust.
Cabbage is one of the easiest and most filling vegetables. I love its versatility and ease of use as an ingredient in so many recipes.
Soup that is filling and flavorful is a winner every time. That puts this cabbage and white bean soup high on the request list at our house.
Cabbage and Noodles flavored with little more than butter and a bit of pepper are going to impress you with their simplicity. This an old-fashioned dish that has become a regular comfort food in our household.
Tender potatoes, crisp cabbage, and spicy sausage adds up to an easy dinner that the whole family enjoys. Chunks of cheese melt into this dish adding just the right amount of richness.
Hamburger Cabbage Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 medium onion chopped small about 1 cup worth
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 14-16 ounces tomato sauce
- 28-30 ounces diced tomatoes
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 medium head of cabbage roughly chopped about 8 cups worth
- 1 cup rice uncooked
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook and crumble the ground beef. Sprinkle the beef with chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and brown sugar while it is cooking.
- When the beef is nearly cooked through, add the onion and garlic. Continue cooking for a few minutes, until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef stock, cabbage, and rice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes until the rice is tender. Season with salt to taste. Stir in the vinegar.