Tender vegetables are breaded and broiled to perfection with plenty of buttery garlic and lemon in this Crispy Buttered Zucchini and Summer Squash.
I spied this recipe in the Vegetable Love Cookbook and I’ve lightly adapted it from there. Crispy zucchini, buttered and lightly breaded sounded like heaven. I had to try it right away.
You can use any variety of summer squash that you like when making this recipe. Zucchini is typically my go-to option, but if other varieties are available, go for it.
Zucchini is a vegetable that can be tough to get just right, if you want those gloriously crispy edges. So, if you’re wondering how to make crispy zucchini, the answer is simple: first, do not overcook the squash, and second, use the broiler.
That said, I’ve burned many a dish because the recipe called for me to broil something in the oven. So, please PLEASE keep a close watch on the squash while it’s under the broiler.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this recipe:
- zucchini or summer squash
- garlic powder
- fresh lemon juice
- Italian bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese
Salt and Parmesan cheese are both listed in this recipe, however, NO SALT is needed if the optional Parmesan is included. The cheese provides enough salt for the dish on its own. Without the cheese though, salt is required.
To begin, set a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter and then add the squash to the pan. Season with salt and garlic powder.
Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the inside of the squash is tender but the outside is still firm and slightly crunchy. This should take 5-6 minutes.
While the zucchini is cooking on the stove, set an oven rack about 6 inches from the broiler element and set the oven to broil. Then, drizzle lemon juice over the squash. Stir and remove from heat.
Top with bread crumbs and Parmesan and stir to coat. Place the pan under the broiler. Broil for about 1 minute, watching closely to prevent burning.
Remove from the oven when the zucchini is crispy and the bread crumbs are golden brown. Serve immediately.
Baked Zucchini with Breadcrumbs
My family eats a lot of zucchini. It’s one of my favorite vegetables. So, if you are also a fellow lover of baked zucchini with breadcrumbs, I strongly recommend that you try these Chicken Parmesan Zucchini Boats next.
I hold the opinion that everything can be improved by tacos, and zucchini is no exception. Plus, kids love these Zucchini Taco Boats.
Fresh vegetables are tossed in a mixture of oil and spices before being quickly cooked to create this irresistible skillet of Sauteed Zucchini and Onions.
This Zucchini Stir Fry with Chicken brings so much flavor to the table. Serve it with rice or noodles, and dinner is a cinch.
Crispy Buttered Zucchini and Summer Squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow squash, quartered lengthwise, and cut across into ½-inch pieces about 1½ cups
- 2 medium zucchini, trimmed, quartered lengthwise, and cut across into ½-inch pieces about 3 cups
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt ONLY add salt if no Parmesan is added
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup Italian bread crumbs
- ¼ cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese OPTIONAL
- In a large oven-safe skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the squash, and zucchini. Season with salt and garlic powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes, or until the inside of the squash is tender but the outside is still firm and slightly crunchy.
- While the zucchini is cooking on the stove, move an oven rack about 6 inches from the broiler element and preheat the oven to Broil.
- Drizzle lemon juice over the squash. Stir and remove from heat. Sprinkle with half of the bread crumbs and Parmesan. Toss to coat. Top with the remaining bread crumbs and Parmesan.
- Place the pan under the broiler. Broil for about 1 minute, watching closely to prevent burning. Remove from the oven when the bread crumbs are golden brown. Serve immediately.