It is beyond simple to stir together a batch of homemade Mexican seasonings and it will save you time when you are cooking later.
Homemade spice mixes are easy to make and taste so much better than store-bought. Loaded with an abundance of flavor and a tiny bit of heat, taco seasoning gets used more than anything else in my spice cupboard.
Mexican Seasoning Blend
My family eats a lot of Mexican food and for years I have used taco seasoning regularly in countless recipes.
I’ve been making this recipe for homemade taco seasoning for over a dozen years now, and I’ve tweaked and adapted it to our tastes.
It makes sense to prepare a double or triple batch of this seasoning mix and keep it on hand at all times.
Just a bit spicier than standard taco mixes and completely adaptable to your individual tastes, these are some of my favorite spices in the kitchen.
Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning
I use this Homemade Taco Seasoning at least 3-4 times a week and I keep it on hand at all times. My kids already know to stir a new batch together when it’s running low.
This is probably the most used spice staple in my pantry. Just a spoonful will add an abundance of flavor to any meal.
Homemade spice mixes always taste so much better than store-bought and they’re surprisingly easy to make too.
Kitchen Tip: I use these jars to make this recipe.
Mexican Seasoning Recipe
- In a jar or small mixing bowl, combine chili powder, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, oregano, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and pepper.
- Shake or stir to combine.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
Many of our favorite Mexican recipes use this Taco Seasoning. Bell Pepper Tacos are a spicy, delicious way to change up your next taco night. These filling servings of meat and vegetables satisfy the hungriest of crews!
Zucchini Taco Boats are full of flavor and cheesy goodness. Let’s face it tacos make everything better, especially zucchini.
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, stir together all of the spices. Store the seasoning mix in an airtight container. I keep mine in a glass mason jar in my spice cabinet.