Brussels sprouts, apples, cranberries, pecans, onion, and cheddar cheese are tossed together and drizzled with an apple cider vinaigrette to make this Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad.
Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad
For a number of years, I only ever served Brussels Sprouts as a hot vegetable side dish. However, once I tried salad with Brussels sprouts, I was hooked. If you have not had them fresh and crunchy, you are missing out.
Whether mixed together with apple or jicama, or shaved into a delicious crunchy coleslaw, there are so many different ways we can use Brussels sprouts raw. Using them shredded in a salad is quickly becoming a favorite way to eat them.
I’ve made this Brussels sprout and apple salad quite a few times over the past month and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.
To make the Brussels Sprout salad, start by washing the sprouts. Trim the stems and remove any brown or wilted outside leaves.
Make quick work of shredding the sprouts by using a mandolin to get even-sized pieces. I have had this mandoline for over 10 years and it is a workhorse.
You can use the mandolin to slice the apples and shave the red onion for this salad as well. I’m a big fan of the even-sized pieces you can easily get with the mandolin.
If you don’t happen to have a mandolin, just use a handy chef’s knife to slice the Brussels thin. Either tool will get the job done nicely. Combine the Brussels sprouts, apples, cranberries, pecans, and onion in a large bowl.
Combine the vinaigrette ingredients in a jar and close it tightly with a lid. Give it a shake and then pour the dressing over the salad. Sprinkle with cheese and toss to combine. Taste the salad and season with salt and pepper, only if needed.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
To make this recipe you will need:
- Brussels sprouts
- Fuji, Pink Lady, or Honeycrisp apples
- golden raisins or dried cranberries
- chopped pecans
- red onion
- extra-sharp cheddar or Parmesan cheese
Apple Cider Vinaigrette Ingredients
- light flavored olive oil
- apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
I love that a salad can be a great side dish or even the main dish depending on what I am craving. Versatile and flavorful is the name of the game no doubt!
Fresh greens, spicy red onions, crunchy walnuts, chewy sweet raisins and cranberries, salty Parmesan, and roasted Acorn squash come together with a tangy sweet maple vinaigrette in this winter squash salad.
Full of apples and toasted nuts, this salad is a hit whenever I serve it. It always amazes me when we get together with friends this is the first bowl emptied.
Arugula Tomato Salad celebrates the sweet summer freshness of tomatoes with the peppery bite of arugula glazed with balsamic.
Have you tried the Sweet Kale Salad at Costco? It starts with shredded kale, thinly sliced Brussels sprouts, and a generous handful of broccoli matchsticks. The greens are topped with sweet cranberries and salty pepitas before being tossed in a tangy sweet poppyseed dressing.
Fresh broccoli with dried cranberries, bacon, and red onion tossed in a tangy sweet dressing makes for a crave-able Cranberry Broccoli Bacon Salad.
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts shaved or sliced very thin
- 2 medium apple Fuji, Pink Lady, or Honeycrisp thinly sliced and chopped
- ⅓ cup golden raisins or dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons red onion very thinly sliced and chopped
- ¼ cup extra-sharp cheddar or Parmesan cheese thinly shaved or crumbled
- ½ cup light flavored olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- Combine the oil, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper in a small jar and shake to combine. Set aside.
- Combine the Brussels Sprouts, apples, raisins or cranberries, pecans, and onion in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing and toss well to coat. Add the cheese and lightly toss again.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper, as needed. Serve immediately.
Rate & Comment